The College Crest – Choi Kai Yau College, University of Macau
Symbolisms of the College Crest:
- The sailing ship suggests that life and the search for knowledge are a journey across the oceans, but the ocean, in this case, is an open book, a symbol of knowledge and wisdom;
- The ship is a schematic rendition of the famous treasure ship of Zheng He, the Chinese admiral and diplomat, who led seven expeditionary voyages in 1405-1433 reaching as far as the East Coast of Africa, nearly a century before Vasco da Gama. This suggests not only globalization but also a globalization as a Chinese tradition.
- The seven stars represent the seven continents, suggesting inclusiveness and global awareness. Just as the ship reaches out to the world, the seven stars also provide bearing for the ship.
- The star in the middle represents the collective wisdom of the staff and the students, who, through constant interaction, provide the engines for whole-person education.
- Sky Blue is the colour of the College. Set against the darker blue of the deep blue sea and the rays from the sun, the possibilities are boundless.